Bean's World

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Long Awaited Quebec Trip Report - Friday, May 26, 2006


(This is what the view from our hotel window looked like - I swear!)

Cast of Characters:

Bean – me, wife, planner extraordinaire (or has hubby states “ARS”, i.e., anal-retentive scheduler)

Mr. Bean – hubby, aka, “Pamphlet Man”

Well, about three weeks before Memorial Day, we decided to take a last minute trip to Quebec City for Memorial Day weekend.

We had been to Montreal together quite a few times, but it took me awhile to convince Mr. Bean that we needed to go to Quebec City. I had been once as my high school graduation present (I was planning to major in French in college) and absolutely loved it; so I wanted to go back as an adult for a romantic weekend, 15 years later.

So, as for me planning is as much fun as going, I had to get into planner mode quickly. First issue of importance was lodging. I tried Priceline numerous times with no success. I also looked on-line at different lodging in Vieux Quebec itself, both lower and upper towns. The only rooms I could find were over $200 each. Also, Mr. Bean is NOT a fan of B&B’s and doesn’t like older rooms – the “ambience” is not for him – I know, sad, but true. I then decided to try hotwire and see what came up. This was my first foray into the hotwire experience and I admit I was nervous. I used betterbidding.com for assistance to see if I could figure out what the hotel was. Based upon the information, I knew it would be either the Hilton Quebec or the Delta Quebec. I had stayed at the Delta in Montreal numerous times with great success, so I hoped I would be so lucky for $92 a night, we were staying three nights. Took the risk and got the Hilton. I was a little nervous about it as it was outside the wall of Vieux Quebec and there were mixed reviews on tripadviser and other places. But I looked at in on-line and it seemed nice.

Traveling was easy. We knew we were driving. We live in upstate NY so the directions to the hotel said it would be about 5 and ½ hours. Then I had to plan the two full days and ½ day before we came home on Monday. Luckily, and easily as I didn’t have as much time as I usually do, I was able to find two walking tours on line, with accompanying maps, from www.frommers.com. One tour was for upper town and one for lower town. I decided for Monday we would go to the nearby waterfalls before we headed back home.

Then I had to decide meals. I decided we would go to Aux Anciens Canadiens for lunch one day in upper town, L’Echaude for lunch in lower town, To L’Astral at the Loew’s hotel for dinner because of the view and the other dinner night would be Le Saint Amour.

Then the week before, I continually checked weather.com and it said not only would it be raining the whole weekend, but to expect thunderstorms – oh well, time to bring the umbrellas.

That Friday, I only had to work a ½ day, so Mr. Bean and I were off about 2 p.m. for the drive up. And of course it rained the whole way. It only took about 15 minutes to get through the border and we were in Quebec city by 8 p.m., even going through the rush hour of Montreal. It was a really nice ride. The appearance of things really seem to change once you cross the border. Also, we have a Toyota Scion XB and I don’t think Canadiens have ever seen one before. EVERY single time a car drove pass us, both the driver and all passengers would turn around and just stare at our car. It got to the point where Mr. Bean and I felt like celebrities so we started to wave at everyone. We had a good laugh!

We then arrived at the Hilton which is about 23 stories – which for Quebec City is a skyscraper. The only other really tall buildings were the Delta and the Loew’s. I had called the day before for a NS, king-size bedroom with a view of Vieux Quebec. They said they would put it in my requests, but couldn’t promise anything because the hotel was booked solid. And because of the rate I had, I wasn’t expecting anything either. So we valeted our car (seemed to be the only option at the time and was $20.65 CAN a day) and went to the room – 907.

So I walked into the room – and it was AMAZING!!!! We had an end room with a gorgeous view of Vieux Quebec, including Chateau Frontenac, the Seminary, Notre Dame, the river, the walls around the city, etc. and the parks were just below our window. We got to the room just in time to see the sun set and the lights on the Chateau go up. It was funny too, because Mr. Bean asked me on the way up why we didn’t stay at the Chateau Frontenac and I said (1) I didn’t want to pay more than $300 a night for a room; and (2) I was afraid the rooms would not be as nice for that kind of money. So when we saw this view, I told him that it was a good thing we stayed at the Hilton because the view from the Chateau would have been of the Hilton. We had a much nicer view as I would rather be looking at the Chateau as opposed to from it. And I loved laying in bed going to sleep, leaving the curtains open to see the Chateau. And the room itself was great too. We were on a NS floor. We got a KS bed which was VERY comfortable and the room was big enough for also a desk and chair, and two comfortable chairs with a table. The bathroom was all black and white marble and spacious as well.

We were exhausted that night so we ordered room service. I know, I know, why not go out for dinner? Well, one of Mr. Bean’s fave things to do is order room service. He says it makes him feel like he’s really on vacation. I’m not as much for it, but I promised so we did. And I can honestly say it was the best room service meal I had ever had and it was REALLY good. They had a plan for $10 more than the entrée price, they would also give you an appetizer, dessert and coffee so that’s what we did. I had a fish soup in a creamy tomato broth, duck with blueberries and crème brulee. All I can say is YUM!!! It all came piping hot, tasted great. The duck came with lovely vegetables of peppers, green beans (fresh) and broccoli, and a potato au gratin – I ate every bite. And the crème brulee was to die for – and they had lovely fresh fruit of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries on top – delish. Mr. Bean had a salad, filet mignon with foie gras and truffles and the crème brulee. He loved his as well. It came to about $80 CAN. Absolutely delicious.

After dinner, we did our favorite nighttime activity when in a foreign country. We watched TV. I know, I can hear you saying WHAT THE %$&* WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?!? But please let me explain. We love foreign television, especially the game shows and variety shows. We just don’t have the same thing here in the good ol’ US of A. We love the game show hosts who yell at the contestants for their stupid mistakes, we love the crazy antics of the hosts, we love the dancing girls and the loud crazy music, we just love it all. And there is nothing like it here. So every night, after walking miles upon miles when touring, we have done that in Italy, England, France, Greece, Switzerland and now Canada. And we will continue to do it. We love it and are addicted. So there.

2 Comments:

  • Great report, Bean! If you ever get burned out on your current profession, you have a brilliant future as a travel writer. I mean it. Maybe some travel mag will give you a monthly column: The Adventures of PlanGirl and PamphletBoy."

    I think it's hysterical that you speak French with a Southern accent. "Jer ne sigh paw, y'all!"

    Je t'embrasse,
    votre amie, NL

    By Blogger niicelaady, at 6:42 PM  

  • Merci Beaucoup NL!

    Believe me, I would much rather be a travel writer than what I do. Traveling is my most fave hobby.

    Bean

    By Blogger The Bean, at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home