Bean's World

Friday, August 05, 2005

Parents always Protecting the Kids . . .

So, I found out this afternoon that my dad passed out on a plane yesterday, was watched over for the rest of the flight by a doctor, and emt's had to check him upon landing. The emt's wanted him to go to the hospital, but he refused and didn't see his doctor until today. They conducted some tests and found nothing wrong but want to run some more on Monday. He is not allowed to drive until then.

And the question you ask is - why am I just finding this out now? Well, he didn't want to tell my sister and I until he knew he was fine. And no, my sister and I aren't children we are married adults in our 30's. I asked a coworker if she would do that to her kids and she said a resounding yes. She has children my age. Now, I don't know if it's a generational thing, but if my child was an adult, I would NEVER do that. What if something worse had happened to him and he, god forbid, passed away? My poor mother would be stuck telling us, yes, we knew something was up for a couple of days, but we didn't want to worry you. Sorry you missed out on talking to him one last time before he croaked. Now, believe me, I know I'm being drastic, but it doesn't seem fair to my sister and I and it really doesn't seem fair to my mom who would be stuck with the bad news.

What are your thoughts?

1 Comments:

  • Bean, I am not much for praying but am sending good thoughts in your dad's direction. I do hope he's OK and that it was just an altitude/cabin pressure issue. The fact that doc found nothing early on is a good sign.

    I understand your feelings re your mom keeping it from you and your sister. I am the youngest by a wide margin (and also high-strung and thin-skinned) and have had a LOT of stuff kept from me over the years because I "wouldn't understand" or they "didn't want to upset me." I am 46 and it still happens. Parents never lose the instinct to protect their children, even when said children have gray hair and wrinkles.

    Thanks for the shout-out and again, welcome to the blogosphere. Does Mr. Bean still blog? What's the address?

    By Blogger niicelaady, at 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home