Bean's World

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Why I'm called the Bean.

There has been a lot of speculation, arguments, etc. about how people who use characters should, in a way, expect people to either not take them seriously, that they are not "real" in their blogging/podcasts or that they can be made fun of, mocked, whatever you want to call it. And it also appears to be a sport to "out" the person with their real name; and essentially being told that if they don't use their real name then, they must not be serious. I, for one, have been used as an example.

I don't fault these people for thinking that way; and I harbor no hard feelings and still love them. However, I think they misunderstand me. And I cite two specific reasons why.

First, I consider Bean my name. No, it's not my official, on my birth certificate name. It's even more important to me because it's a nickname my husband gave me when we first started dating more than 12 years ago. In fact, if he calls me anything other than Bean, it sounds weird to me; and I don't like it. Do other people call me this? No; and in fact, not many even know I have that name. It's Mr. Bean's name for me - and I love that he chose it for me and it holds a special place in my heart. So, by using that name here, it's an homage to him - AND IT'S A NAME I CONSIDER REAL TO ME.

Second, I use Bean and not my "official birth certificate" name because I talk about things here that I do not want getting out - especially because of the profession I am in; and because of the issues I discuss. I would never have been able to talk about the adoption if I had to use my real name because, although we didn't give out specific information, if our real names were used, things may have been able to get back to people we don't want it to - and in fact, it could hurt us. And professionally, although I say nothing bad about them (and I wouldn't b/c I love the people I work with), I'm not really in the profession that looks highly on doing things like this. And hence, not my "real" name.

So I don't think I should be looked down upon for it; and I make no excuses because I have nothing to make excuses for. If you choose to believe it's not the "real" me because of the name, honestly it's your loss and those who do know me in real life and who I trust to tell about this site know in fact it is the REAL me.

And for those who I've entrusted with my "real" name in other avenues, please don't "out" me on other sites. I trusted you with the information and feel that this was done without my permission. I have not done so myself and was surprised to see it done by others.

That being said, I sincerely hope you all will still enjoy my blatherings; and I will try to get back to less serious, more beanie-like things. Thanks!

7 Comments:

  • Bean, I hope I haven't inadvertently outed you at any time. I do know your real name but I've only used it in e-mail to you and Mr. Bean.

    I do feel your pain, though. I was recently "outed" on someone else's podcast. Read all about it on my blog.

    Hugs to you and Mr. Bean!

    NiiceLaady

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • Thanks NL, it wasn't you at all - so don't worry. and I'm sorry to hear of your situation. can you email me your new blogsite at beansblog@gmail.com? I would love to read it!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 12:34 PM  

  • You will always be The Bean to me. :)

    By Blogger Tigger, at 3:24 AM  

  • I understand your concerns but I honestly have to say that I do not think that it was intentional to out you. I don't think it was a sport. At least I don't think it would be. I haven't listened to everything that was said. I was away from all this, this past week. BUT, the people mentioned, I seriously don't think it was a sport. I think it was more of the fact that they've became great friends with you and it was just either they said it without thinking or that they honestly did not know how sensitive that information was. BUT, they do now.

    By Blogger Andy Melton, at 1:31 AM  

  • Also, does it concern you that people would also take the name that you have chose on here and simply Google that? I'm not disagreeing with you, I respect that you don't want your real name out there because of your profession. I understand that. But. I do think that if people want to get information about you, they will find it. People want an edge, something other people don't know about you and a great, free tool for that is Google.

    By Blogger Andy Melton, at 2:00 AM  

  • thanks Tig, you're a sweetheart.

    Andy, googling is exactly what I'm afraid of - not my viewing audience as I'm sure I only have about 10 people on that list. But if you google Bean, you still wouldn't know who I am - but googling other facts about me, including my name, is what concerns me. And I know you asked about my pix, which I took a long time deciding if I should - over a year - and I'm still uncomfortable with it, but I succumbed and did it and probably won't again. Probably just my hang ups.

    By Blogger The Bean, at 7:23 AM  

  • Don't worry, we all have our hangups!

    By Blogger Andy Melton, at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home