Bean's World

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ask Bean, Vol. I

Andy Melton wrote:

As you know I'm working to move away from home. Where do you think I should try to go to? I've always thought about going to Virginia. But. I really just don't know where to start looking. I need a place where I can get to everything I need to by walking or public transportation. Any suggestions? Also. I'm really thinking of going back to school. I don't want to go to a typical college simply because there are so many things I want to learn. I just don't think it's practical to go to a 4 year school. I want to learn more web development skills, photography and I'd also like to do some cooking classes. Any suggestions as to a school that would serve me well?

Dear Andy,

Thanks for being my first question - and what a great question it is. Virginia is a lovely state and I have a great recommendation for you - a place that has colleges of both the two and four year variety and is big enough to have what you need but not so big that you would feel lost - ROANOKE.

I can recommend it wholeheartedly. It has a bus system for public transportation. It has a community college called Virginia Western which has areas of study of Communications Design; Computer & Electronics Technology; Computer Graphics & Internet Programming; Culinary Arts; and they do have Photography classes. And if you change your mind about a four year college, Roanoke College is a great school too.

The City itself is great too - wonderful malls, restaurants, a great downtown and plenty of places to find work and a place to live.

I hope this helps - good luck!

3 Comments:

  • Thank you for your response, Bean. It is greatly appreciated. Roanoke sounds like a good place to start looking and really I don't think it would be that bad. I went onto Apartments.com and looked and found some decently priced Apartments for under $700/month. I'll definitely start looking into it. Thank you.

    By Blogger Andy Melton, at 4:24 PM  

  • Virginia? *ACK*

    Who would want to move to that horrid, backwards, bible uber alles, state?

    I had the misfortune of living there, about 60 miles from Roanoke, and couldn't leave the place fast enough. I'd say it's probably not the best idea to move to a place where NASCAR is considered high culture, getting employed is an exercise in extreme frustration, and speaking without a southern accent automatically makes you suspect or a damnyankee (yes, to them it's one word).

    Your health will suffer too. The four major food groups in that area are oil, fat, lard, and grease.

    Upon arrival the natives will discover you are, "not from 'round these parts" and promptly invite you to one of the 3,000 churches that line main street. It won't matter if you're not intrested, you're gonna go, or else.

    So if you desire to become an unemployed, pig pickin', NASCAR watching, 3 time a week prayin, pork cracklin eating, morbidly obese, mindless automaton, by all means move to Virginia.

    Living in Roanake would be like comitting suicide by waiting to die.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

  • @CQ - That sounds like where I live now. There's a church on every corner and they'll even save a spot for ya. If they don't see you in that spot on the following Sunday after they invited you, you're sure to hear about it the next time they see ya.

    Lard is one of the best cooking ingredients. If you eat cake with icing, you're eatin' lard!

    By Blogger Andy Melton, at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home