Bean's World

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'm Back with a VENGEANCE!!!!!!! (and saving moola too!)


As you all know, I've been in hiding since my February 1, 2008 post talking about changes and last things. And boy, was I right. Things have been crazy and happy and expensive and priceless and thrilling and scary and . . . Well, you get the drill.


I have the most amazing little boy in the whole wide world and he is now 6 months old - where did the time go? I was lucky enough to take three months off to spend with him - and boy did I need it! Talk about a learning process! I went back to work and am still getting used to the drill of bringing my handsome prince to "school", going to work, getting my cheeky monkey again and feeling like a rock star when he sees me for the first time, and getting things ready to start all over again.


We bought a house - I got MASSIVE nesting instincts when I had my baby shower - the place just felt way too crowded and I needed to move NOW - it's weird, I heard about the nesting instinct but never believed in it until it happened to me. Looked at the house two days before I gave birth and bought it four days after I gave birth - we would have bought it earlier, but I was in the hospital for four days b/c I had a c-section. It was the first place we looked at; and I LOVE it!


We bought a new car so baby would be safe and the old car (1999 with 150,000 miles on it) just wasn't going to pass inspection. And of course bought new furniture, etc. for the house.


So needless to say, we spent a lot of money and are in major saving mode right now. Which has led me to my newest obsession: couponing and getting stuff for free. And my two favorite places to do it are at CVS and Rite Aid. Essentially, by using the combinations of coupons and great deals from there, I get things for free or for at least VERY LOW MONEY. So I have a huge stock of toothpaste, toothbrushes, cleaning supplies, shampoo, conditioner, razors, feminine supplies, shaving cream, soda and medicine that I paid almost no money for; and in some cases, they have paid me to take.


To get an understanding on how to do it, I would recommend two great blogs: I heart CVS and I heart Rite Aid. Another place I use consistently is Hot Coupon World which also advises me of great deals at Target and my Price Chopper grocery store.


So, I'm not going to tell you how to do it, I'm just going to direct you there as I couldn't do as well as them at the explanation. What I will do, however, is post my weekly shopping scenarios to show how I did; and hopefully, it will help you. Also, this blog is going to become more of a "saving moola" blog as my baby boy and saving money are my two big things right now.


So here we go:


I'm somewhat new at this - I've been at it one month. But I love puzzles so I do the deals, especially at CVS, accordingly. I don't get a ton products, just what we as a family may need, but I thought my scenarios might help others.


CVS - I made several transactions to get the full use of my coupons - and specifically did them in this order (and ECB's are "extra care bucks" CVS prints out on the end of your receipt when you buy certain of their products that you can use on anything in the store - it's like real money!):


1. 4 12-packs of pepsi soda - 4/$12

5 sobe life waters - 5/$5

-5 coupons for free Sobe with a 12-pack pepsi purchase

-$2 off $10 CVS coupon

-two $5 ECB's from last week

Total OOP - nothing

Received $5 ECB's


2. 1 Garnier hair color for $5

2 Garnier conditioner with freeshampoo/conditioner travel pack

1 Garnier leave-in conditioner (Garnier was 3/$10)

- 4 $1.00 Garnier coupons

-$2 off $10 CVS coupon

-$5 from previous transaction's ECB's

Total OOP $4.65

Received $5 in ECB's


3. 2 ZipFizz energy drink mix at $5.99 each

-$2 CVS coupon

-$5 ECB from previous transaction

Total OOP - $4.98

Received $11.98 in ECB's


4. 2 OB 36 count tampons for $9

1 advil child for $5.79

2 colgate toothpaste B1G1 - $3.49

2 Colgate toothbrush B1G1 - $3.29

-$1 CVS toothbrush coupon

-$1 colgate toothpaste coupon

-$1 colgate toothpaste coupon

-$2 when spend $10 CVS coupon

-$1.50 ob coupon

-$1.50 ob coupon

-$11.98 ECB's from previous transaction

Total OOP nothing

Received $10.79 in ECB's


5. 1 CVS tampon for $4.99

1 playtex tampon for $4.99

-$1 playtex coupon

-$2 when spend $10 CVS coupon

-$5.79 in ECB's

Total OOP $1.37

Receive $5 ECB's


So I spent a total OOP of $11 and I still have $10 in ECB's to use next time.


I also went to Rite Aid and got the following:


2 glade oil refills - 2/$5.00

2 glade plug-ins - for $4.79 each

2 shout sprays - 2/$4

1 Pledge - $2.99

1 Pert plus - $2.99

1 EZ start tape - $1.50

1 revlon blemish concealer - $6.99

1 revlon pressed powder - $6.99

1 John Frieda Shampoo - 6.49

1 John Frieda condition - $3.24 (B1G50%)

-$0.75 Shout coupon

-$1.00 pledge coupon

-$4.79 glade plug in coupon (B1G1)

-$2.50 glade refill coupon (B1G1)

-$2 revlon coupon

-$2 revlon coupon

-$3 john frieda coupon

-$4 glade coupon

Total OOP - $33.71 (before coupons it was $53.75)


I'll receive from the rite aid rebate:


$1 from Pledge
$3 from John Frieda

$2 from pert plus

$1.50 from duck brand tape

$2 from Glade plug-in refills

$2 from shout

$10 from revlon

Total - $21.50


So I paid only $12.21 for $53.75 worth of products.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Yay, you're back Bean! We've missed you! Congrats on the new house.

    Maybe you can do all that coupon shopping for me too1 I'll pay you out of pocket expenses and an extra $1 so you'll be making an additional dollar profit! What do you say? :-)

    By Blogger eluper, at 9:24 AM  

  • Thanks E! I've been keeping up on your blog too and can't read the newest book!

    And, thanks but no thanks on the offer! :)

    By Blogger The Bean, at 9:29 AM  

  • I mean - can't WAIT to read the newest book!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 9:30 AM  

  • Welcome back - and congratulations! As a mom to three kids, I can relate to your couponing habits. Ha! Whether I shop at the grocery or online, I simply MUST save as much money as I can.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 AM  

  • OMG Bean... It's great to see your post and I have alot to learn from your coupon clipping. I assume that the reason Mr. Bean has not done a podcast is because he has been insanely busy being a top notch husband and father :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 PM  

  • Hey Rebecca - how good to hear from you - I hope you are well! Another reason Mr. Bean hasn't podcasted is b/c he is being good - he needs a new computer part, but with the house, a new car, etc. we were waiting - that's another reason for couponing! He should be back up in September!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 7:34 AM  

  • The Bean is back! Woohoo!

    So glad to hear that you and Mr. Bean and the Beanie Baby are all well, and congrats on the new house.

    I am still blogging but haven't posted anything new since July, at least not on my personal blog (http://niicelaady.livejournal.com). But I have a fanfiction blog at http://hamonwry.livejournal.com

    Looking forward to reading more from you. Hope you enjoyed Disney with Li'l Bean.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home