Bean's World

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Horse by any other Name.

I wasn't planning on writing about Barbaro. Although the story was sad, I knew everyone would write about it - and really what was there to say? I'm not a big horseracing fan, except my annual race track party with friends in Saratoga Springs - but I go for the friends, not really the races.

But that dang horse really got to me.

I was watching the Today show for a few seconds this morning; and it just happened to be a segment about Barbaro. Watching the owners and even the doctors become emotional, with tears in their eyes, about losing their friend was the start of my downfall. Watching the moment when poor Barbaro broke his leg during the race and trying to keep going because he really seemed to love running made me go even further. Seeing Barbaro nuzzling his horsey friend made me feel a lump in my throat.

And then thinking about what if I lost my furbabies McKinley and Jefferson made me start bawling.

Yes, Barbaro was a great horse - even an amazing race horse. But what I will remember him for will not be the fact that he won the Kentucky Derby by such a large margin. I will remember that Barbaro was a furbaby who his family and friends lost but will not forget. Barbaro, like all furbabies should be, was loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home