Bean's World

Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Free Man (and Woman) in Paris, Unfettered and Alive . . .




Sunday, November 26, 2006








I woke up feeling very sad because it was our last morning. We were to be picked up by Bee Shuttle at 9 am. We finished packing and went down to wait. And of course the day we were leaving was the only sunny and blue sky day. Before going, however, we took some last pictures outside our wonderful window that I did not want to leave.

And guess what? Bee Shuttle never showed up. After waiting 45 minutes, we had to get a taxi which cost 60 E and we got to the airport. And CDG was a mad house. We were told to go to one terminal. Then we found out they changed terminals so we had to walk with all of our stuff for what seemed like miles. Then we got through that, unfortunately no changes in our seats for the better. Then we had to ride a bus for what seemed a million miles until we got to the area where our plane was to be. We got to the airport at 10 a.m. and finally to our gate at noon. I wanted to do some shopping but we had no time.

But then we got on the plane and sat there for an hour so we could have done some shopping – I cannot even begin to tell you how bitterly disappointed I was in that.

Then our seatmate brought her dog. He was cute as a button but I felt so bad for him because he was stuck in a small carrier for seven hours under the seat. I was hot in my seat; so I can’t even begin to tell you how hot he must have been. And she fed him valium to keep him quiet – poor thing!

The service on the flight back was better – we could get more liquid to drink. The food was once again good. I had more trouble sleeping this time; but that was because it was a daytime flight, leaving at 1:15 p.m.

We got back to JFK on time (3:15 p.m.), easily got to our car, paid $90 for parking for six days, and had a really easy drive home in 2 and a ½ hours from JFK to Albany, NY, which I thought was great, especially for the Sunday night after Thanksgiving – we were home by 8 p.m.

Conclusion

We had a great time. There were other things I wish we had done: (1) river cruise; (2) eat at the other restaurants I had reservations for; (3) more shopping – I didn’t buy enough; (4) walked Ile de St. Louis; and (5) L’Orangerie, etc. But you know what? One more reason to go back. Not that we would really need an excuse, that’s for sure.

And can you guess which picture we used on our Christmas card ? I'll post the results in a copy of days.

6 Comments:

  • Ooops, I posted my last comment at the end of the wrong entry, so here it is:

    First off, now that I know you had a Christmas card I am highly offended I didn't get one. However, I am all but certain it was the one of you guys at the Moulin Rouge.

    Do I get a Bean t-shirt or something?

    Eric

    By Blogger eluper, at 9:26 AM  

  • Hi Bean,

    Just to let you know that I really enjoyed reading your stories in Paris. It sounds like you had a great time and lots of reasons to come back - which I hope you will be able to do.

    I love the river cruises and really recommend you come back in summer time. August is great in Paris.

    I started following your blog when I discovered the Saturn Cast and I've been looking forward to your Paris report since! I love the humour in your posts, in particular your jibes at Mr Bean

    My vote is for the picture of you both in front of the Eiffel Tower.

    All the best from Pareee

    Nik x

    By Blogger Nik-in-Paris, at 1:36 AM  

  • Nik - thanks so much for reading my blog! And I'm so jealous you live in Paris - it must be magnificent. Maybe we could meet in the future.

    I agree about the boat cruise - I can't believe I've been five times and haven't done it. Usually the person I'm with doesn't want to. I haven't been to Paris in the summer yet - I've been in February (1993); April (easter 1993); May (1993); October (2002) and now November. And don't worry, I will definitely come back.

    And I love Jibing Mr. bean - that's the most fun of all!

    BTW Nik - have you ever been to Toulon? That's where I lived for six months while in college - I loved it there! I lived with a rich lady who had this amazing condo with a balcony looking at the mediterranean and the beach was only steps away - I'll never have it that good again!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 8:36 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Nik-in-Paris, at 9:52 AM  

  • Hey Bean, it was my pleasure. I could really tell how much you like/enjoy French and Paris. Its nice to hear!

    It would be lovely to meet up the next time you are in France. I used live in a flat near Bld St Germain and the Seine and I often used to take the bateaux mouche - I never got bored of it. Its a really relaxing and beautiful way to see the city. Definitely a reason to come back!

    How crazy! I do know Toulon. Bruno, my bf, has family there and we have spend several holidays either at Toulon or Bandol. I even did a podcast from there last Easter. I find the coast and the mediterranean in that part of the world beautiful. It must have been a wonderful experience for college.

    BTW have you listened to my chats with Special Delivery Mark? We talked about his experiences in France when came on a school placement to Dijon. That was really fun.

    All the best to you both for the adoption. I will be thinking of you.

    N x

    By Blogger Nik-in-Paris, at 10:02 AM  

  • Nik, I will have to look for those podcasts with you in Toulon and the SDM - aahh the memories. I loved Toulon - it was a great place to live.

    By Blogger The Bean, at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home