Bean's World

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Strong Female Persona

I had just heard that Josh Whedon decided to no longer helm the new "Wonder Woman" movie; and I must admit it really bummed me out. You see, I love Josh Whedon and I love Wonder Woman, so it would have been the perfect match.

And reading that article made me realize I have an infatuation with the strong female characters of some great stories. It all started as a child in the 1970's with Wonder Woman - I wanted to BE Wonder Woman. I even had the underoo's to prove it. And I now have all of the television show DVD's.

Then, I continued with Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Not the movie so much, the show is what I loved. I watched every episode of every season fanatically.

Next, came Sydney from Alias. Another girl who could kick ass and take names. I didn't miss an episode of that show either.

Now, although they don't have so much in the area of "super powers" per se, I love the strong attitudes of Veronica Mars and even Sandra Oh's character in Grey's Anatomy.

But I do need another female character that kicks rear - any suggestions?

So that is why I'm so disappointed in Lisa Nowak. She, as a NASA astronaut, had to have some strength and character to become what she became. And she threw it all away. For what? I know, it's obvious she has some issues that need to be resolved; however, it still saddens me that someone who should have been and could have been such a great representative of all women goes out like this. I truly hope she gets the help she needs.

8 Comments:

  • When I was in the first grade... I was playing on the slide in the playground... I jumped off the slide to get into my "invisible jet" Sadly enough.. the jet took off without me and I fell to the ground.. breaking my left wrist..

    Wonder Woman & Lady J (from JI JOES) Were my two favorites... and to this day are still my two favorites...

    Sin.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 PM  

  • OMG Sin, I broke my arm not once, but TWO different times playing Supergirl! Never said I was too smart! :)

    By Blogger The Bean, at 9:15 AM  

  • YOU DIDN'T MENTION CAPTAIN JANEWAY!!!!???!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

  • LOL!

    I broke my left arm twice two different times too... the first time I jumped off the slide... the second time I was playing haunted house & tripped and fell... I remember the second time I hid from Mom & Dad in a rose bush with thorns so they couldnt make me go to the doctors...

    I can angle my arm a certain way and You can see a curve and a dip in my left arm as a result of breaking it twice...

    Dont worry Bean, I am as bright as burnt out light bulb!! I personally think Your very intelligent!

    Sin.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 PM  

  • Thanks Sin - that was very sweet.

    And Andy, you are one hundred percent correct and I'm VERY ashamed of myself - how could I forget Captain Janeway? And I'm watching the Voyager episodes right now on Spike thanks to Tigger. She definitely must be added to the list. Seven of Nine must be as well, now that I'm thinking about it!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 1:08 PM  

  • Hey Bean! First off OMG—a Wonder Woman movie!!!! I LOVE her too. And when I (also a child of the '70s) wanted to be a Wonder Person so bad I adopted the persona of "Wonder Boy". I had cardboard bracelets and a hankerchief crown and jumped off the roof and fought criminals in the back of our old Ford Pick up on the ranch. The spinning was my favorite part! At least I did that until the menfolk realized it was from Wonder Woman and—well, a woman role model is not something a young boy should inspire to grow up to be. Ya know never though she fought for "Truth Justice and America". She kicked Nazi butt in season one! Stupid men. I have the DVDs now too!

    And secondly... CAPTAIN JANEWAY! WOOHOO!!!!!! I LOVE HER! In fact I just love strong women in general. Laura IIngalls Wilder! The Bionic Woman! And remember Isis??! SIGH!

    Love hearing you on the Saturcastand thank you so much for the dramatic reading of my Blog Piece. It was very cool! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM  

  • Thanks SBA!

    I agree about Laura Ingalls Wilder - I had the whole book series and read it a MILLION times. And the television shows were the bomb!

    I'm glad you liked my reading of your piece - it means a lot to me that the brilliant author of that piece liked my rendition! :) And thanks for coming to my blog!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 8:30 AM  

  • By Blogger mr.redagamal, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home