Bean's World

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Working for the Man

So I got depressed today. I was going over my 401k with our work's accountant. He was telling me how, in 30 years when I retire, Mr. Bean and I should be set nicely for retirement.

WHAAAAT! 30 more years? That's about how old I am now (plus 4). You mean I have to work another LIFETIME before I retire? So I heard nothing about the financial aspects or details or whatever the hell these accountants say, all I heard was I have to work 30 more years.

It's not that I'm lazy - I'm far from it. I've been working since I was 14, sometimes two jobs at once, and for the past 10 years, I've worked 70+ hours a week, including nights and weekends. But it just sounded so damn depressing that I have 30 more years of this.

Why can't we have a ten year break in our 40's? Seems like we would enjoy it more then instead of at 60-something.

I just don't understand those people who work until 70, 80, 90 or until the day they die. They supposedly love work THAT MUCH.

Well, not me. I'm ready to retire at the ripe ol' age of 35 in October.

What about you? Are you one of those "people" who love work THAT MUCH that you can't imagine not working?

6 Comments:

  • I am in the process of trying to transition my career from something I do because

    a) I'm good at
    b) it makes me money

    to something I love to do because I love to do it. I can see myself writing until the day I die. I cannot see myself being a chiropractor that long.

    By Blogger eluper, at 12:37 PM  

  • I wish they were jobs around here... When I work I have a social life... when I dont work ((like now)) I talk to my pink walls in my bedroom OR sing while taking a piss!!

    I think each to their own... Do I wanna work when I'm old... depends iffin I'm horny then yeah I wanna work..

    Damn I need to get laid!

    Laterz.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • i plan on retiring at 65(that is if social security doesn't go down the drain.). i think with the state, if you have a lot of time accumlated you get your health insurance for free. i would double check on that.

    i would have to work a part time thing after retiring, just to keep my sanity and get myself out of the house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 PM  

  • I don't even want to start.

    By Blogger Andy Melton, at 4:08 PM  

  • I don't even think I will ever be able to retire.

    Sucks when you are single and not a home owner. The IRS rapes me raw.

    By Blogger Tigger, at 3:59 AM  

  • Tigger - we have the same problem - we take a TON out in taxes each paycheck and then still owe several thousand in April - it makes me sick!

    thanks all for replying!

    By Blogger The Bean, at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home